Sunday, March 16, 2014

Still Classic After All These Years


When I heard my 7 year-old son call his younger brother “Cheeks” I thought of two things: 1.) flashbacks to old Sixers days with basketball star Maurice Cheeks, and 2.) Aw, how cute…he noticed his little brother’s fat face from the steroids. Since October my 5 year-old has been treated with prednisone, causing an increased appetite and a rounder face. These two brothers are oil and vinegar, so I was heartened to hear that the older one even noticed the physical change. Maybe they will end up being the best man in each other’s weddings.

Two minutes later I heard the older one yell, “Yo, buttcheeks!” and my Leave it to Beaver brotherly moment vanished.

Nope, sometimes in life things aren’t what they seem, even if you create a picture perfect moment in your own mind.  How often, I wonder, have I jumped to conclusions—about people, about situations?  Even at this age-- when I should know better.   

Here’s another look at perspective...

Last week I enjoyed Paul Simon and Sting performing together in Philadelphia.  These two legendary singer/songwriters sounded absolutely amazing at ages 72 and 62.  It was almost as if I could cover one eye and be transported back to Virginia Beach circa 1996 when my friend and I drooled at Sting from afar.  And clapping along to Paul Simon made me think of my brother when I bought him the Graceland CD in 1986, hearing those African rhythms along with catchy lyrics. 

Did these two artists age at all?  I clearly had.  Because song after song gave me goose bumps…because lyrics meant something different to me now as a 40 year-old.  I practically cried during “Fields of Gold;” thinking how twenty years ago I reminisced about young love.  Now—thoughts flickered to time passing too quickly, about savoring our golden years.  For “Bridge Over Troubled Water” I didn’t picture a young, troubled adult; instead, thought of how perhaps the “silver girl” was a callout to every mature woman I know, inviting yet one more encore in life to shine.

How do we capture that change in perspective?  Does age improve our lens?  Can songs and situations be simply illusions that our minds process differently over time?

Of course people, circumstances--and now that I realize it—songs--can have altered meanings.  Why not listen to your favorite music, read a favorite book, or watch a movie from years ago and learn something new from a classic?  Be aware of the power of perspective and how it can literally change your mind, and with it, your feelings.  A simple thought can transform an entire outlook, energy, and moods.  Sometimes it IS better to turn the other cheek just to gain a different viewpoint or attitude.  Maybe my two sons’ constant undercurrent is an energy of love…that in twenty or so years I’ll get to witness.

“Sail on silver girl.

Sail on by.

Your time has come to shine.

All your dreams are on their way.”

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Paul Simon 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment