Sunday, March 23, 2014

Stinky Advice? Say It Isn't So



If one more older woman tells me to “better enjoy these days” while my kids are young, I may just scream. What do you think I’m doing? Wishing it away? Not relishing every single time my two year-old grabs me with his dimpled hand and looks up at me adoringly? I know time is fleeting. Ten years ago I didn’t have any of these responsibilities, joys, worries, and annoyances.

Yes, I did just write that. Believe me, I adore my children with all of my soul. And I already cry thinking of them fleeing the nest. I love parenthood, and being a mother has fulfilled me in ways no other way can. But I am looking forward to the day, (912 more), when all of my kids will be in school. 

My point is that it’s not all glory-filled. Will I miss elements of little kid-dom? Absolutely. I also miss working full-time. College. Elements of high school. My own childhood. The juicy, joyful nuggets throughout life’s stages make anyone wish they could just go back. But it’s not like all of those years were perfect.

Some 70 year-old impressing on me to enjoy these years, almost as a warning, gets to me. Maybe a proper response would be, “Yes, I hear you, but there are things I won’t miss about now.” Perhaps she forgot about:

  • Cleaning up explosive diarrhea while your kid wails because of diaper rash
  • Vomit in crib crevices
  • Constantly being needed for everything
  • Whining
  • Chauffeuring everywhere
  • Toys scattered throughout the house
  •  Endless chatter when all you want is 15 minutes of quiet
  • Breaking up sibling fights
  • Complaints about what’s being served for dinner
  • Stress about how your kids will turn out
  • Being underappreciated
  • Never being appreciated for all that you do, spend, teach, give up, and worry

I wonder--is it dementia or is it easier/healthier to go through life only remembering the good elements?

I just read an interview on Philly.com with John Oates regarding Hall and Oates’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. The interviewer was saying that, unlike the 1980s, pop music now has a lot of “crap.” And John Oates replied, “Trust me, it's always been crap on the radio (laughing). If anyone looks back to the 70s, 80s with nostalgic rosy colored glasses and goes 'well, everything was awesome.' No, everything was not awesome! There was some awesome stuff, but a lot of crap.”

Oates goes on to say that it’s the good stuff that we remember. Maybe the now mustache-free musician has a point. Maybe most people, as a way to accept our aging future, as a way to feel good about the past, don pink shades and only think of the highlights and simply forget the rest. But I tend to think that’s short-sighted, (if we’re still going with the glasses metaphor).

Life’s painful parts are etchings that shape who we are. Every wrinkle, both literal and figurative, should be part of our life’s rewind reel. Why not? I’m not saying I want to relive them—and I hope to be done with diaper rashes really soon—but it’s important to recall that we’ve lived through “the crap,” even survived it, and learned something along the way. 

One of my friends tells the story of how she threw her diaper pail out of her second-story window to celebrate the end of her diaper changing years. She rejoiced seeing it land on the curb.  Maybe we should all throw out the stinky garbage that comes with parenting, or whatever stage we’re saying farewell to, and even cheer about “the crap.”

Some day when I’m sitting on a bench, watching some mother with young kids, I will smile at those awesome times I miss…the kids’ voices when they get off the bus, the good night squeezes, the proud of themselves moments like hanging their own hoodie on the little hook in the laundry room. And I think I will also breathe a long sigh and know that I deserve some peace and quiet. I vow to put on my sunglasses, (not rose-tinted), and shut my lips instead of telling her to enjoy these days. She probably is. And I bet she has to hit the food store, make dinner, take a kid to gymnastics, and get the gum out of her son’s hair. And oh, yeah, change her toddler’s stinky diaper. Because in life there’s always crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment