Monday, November 16, 2015

You're Grounded...Or Are You?


Do you automatically plug your mobile phone in the charger when you get into your car? Feel an immediate panic if you forget your device at home when running errands? Guilty here. I let my gas tank fall well below a quarter, yet feel uneasy if my phone’s charge is less than 35%. It’s incredible how tethered we are to technology, yet we intrinsically know that separating ourselves is healthy, (as I type with my laptop warming my legs and my phone to my left).

How connected are you? And does checking whatever online pursuit make you happy? More stressed? Does it drain you?

Made me think how much truer to myself I feel when I separate myself from technology.

So when I read an article a month ago in Rodale Wellness about grounding I related to it. “Grounding” means connecting your body directly to Earth and experiencing the benefits of the electric fields. Manifested, grounding means walking barefoot in sand or letting your sockless feet feel natural elements like wood and grass. And if anyone knows me, I hate bare feet. I never even let my summer babies go sockless, fearing they would pick up germs, thinking they looked part-naked. But what if barefooting, a term just concocted, brings better health?

The article’s author, Dr. Steven Sinatra, writes about the healing impact that grounding has on blood viscosity, that when blood is thick it causes clots and inflammation. But when our body is connected to Mother Earth’s energy our red blood cells repel against each other and blood’s consistency is thinner, more like red wine, because it’s more oxygenated—which is healthier for our tissues and organs. So, in an effort to be more like red wine…

…I tried it.

On a cool October afternoon I actually went barefoot and stood on my sunny deck for a few minutes. I immediately felt the warmth through my soles. Then I stood on our pavers for a bit, progressing to grass to absorb the different textures. Did I immediately feel electrons zip through my body? I’m not sure, but I did feel more connected to Mother Earth, and it felt good. I could feel my mood lighten, and a more solid, relaxed presence filled my body.

Some of my friends tease me that I become a hermit during the colder months, and for someone who thrives when outdoors I do miss the solidarity of feeling the elements, hearing the birds, sensing the wind on my cheeks. I’d just rather do that in warmer seasons. So….what to do as the temperature dips and there’s no way I’ll go outside without wearing my Ugg knock-offs? Ways to ground indoors include sitting in the sun, taking a salt bath, picking up a rock and feeling it, and eating healthy foods.

In this high-paced, linked in world where we jump to a text’s chime, remember the raw power of connecting to nature. Try your own method of grounding, a way to recharge sans technology. Take a shoeless walk…a step good for your “sole.”

 
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely, or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy amidst the simple beauty of nature. ...I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.   
--Anne Frank


For the Rodale Wellness article:
http://www.rodalewellness.com/mind-spirit/forgotten-health-trick-you-need-do-150-minutes-week

No comments:

Post a Comment