Sunday, December 1, 2013

If I’m an Old Soul…at 40 Does that Mean I’m Really 80?


I’m eagerly awaiting the premier of Anchorman 2, simply because Will Ferrell’s humor makes me laugh.  Just the thought of him streaking down the street in his skivvies in Old School makes me smirk…because, even though I love to have fun, that would never have been me in college.  Maybe if there had been a movie entitled Old Soul I could have made a cameo appearance.  Yes, I was that fifth grader who begged my mother to buy me my first corduroy blazer—purple, by the way—that would go perfectly with my gray sweater vest and pearls.  I always attributed my affinity to suits and grown-up attire to sneaking glimpses of LA Law and Family Ties and thinking that Alex P. Keaton and I would someday marry.

Point is…I’ve always been an old soul.  If the essence of an old soul means thinking too much about the future without enjoying the present, then yes, throughout my life I have been guilty of that.  Naturally I’m a planner and a worrier.  But at this point in my life I don’t want to skip ahead.  At almost 40…would that make me almost 60? 80?  How do I remain true to my current age without letting the future get in the way?

As a kid I appreciated my childhood, but a part of me couldn’t wait to get older.  Now, though, I don’t feel that way.  I hesitate to even think ahead a decade.  I wonder if this is the best time of my life, and if so, am I grateful enough for my blessings?  Instead of reminiscing about the past and anticipating the future---maybe during this weekend of gratitude I should focus on what’s great about being 40.

Forty is fabulous because:
  • I won’t become a cliché this year buying a cool sports car, (wait…would that be so bad?)
  • I can have fun embarrassing my kids
  • I always knew fluorescent colors would make a comeback
  • I have tons of great memories and photos to make me smile
  • I can justify going to bed early because I’m worn out
  • I love feeling settled
  • My children are kids before their teenage years-- I still have some control over them, and everyone isn’t going their separate ways
  • There has been tons of time to build some expertise, to learn much, to gain life perspective
  • The oldies station plays music from my childhood, not just my parents’ generation
  • There are plenty of people I can rely on for advice and friendship
  • Madonna will always be older, and she looks pretty good
  • I’m still young enough to dream about the next chapters in life

I fully realize I'm not 80, and when/if that time comes I hope I'll be scribing many more life lessons and gratitude lists.  But even now--if I could whisper advice to a younger version of old soul me I would say, “Savor the moment and don’t worry so much about the future.”  Because I’m here now, and the present really is a gift.  And I’d add a reminder to thank my mom for that blazer.

No comments:

Post a Comment